Advertisement: Affordable and Fast STD Testing. Test Now!
Even if you consider yourself a total sexpert, there is always something new to learn about sex. From all the crazy ways it can improve your health to the downright weird things that happen during the act, read on for everything you could possibly want to know about getting busy. Plus, we promise it will be a lot more fun than sex ed ever was.
1. Sex reduces stress. On top of obvious, ahem, physical benefits,research shows that getting busy calms nerves, lowers blood pressure, and reduces stress. Grab your partner before that big presentation at work—in one study, participants who had sex before a public speaking experiment were the least stressed.
2. It can make you feel better when you’re sick, too. Studies show that arousal and orgasm boost your immune system. And while this means sex could be good for you when you’re feeling a little under the weather, definitely know when to opt for some chicken soup and some sleep over a little sexual healing.
3. Lube makes it easier to orgasm. If you’re having trouble getting off, all your problems might be solved with one simple addition to the bedroom: lube. Nearly 50 percent of men and women who used lube said it made it easier to have an orgasm, according to a study out of Indiana University’s Center for Sexual Health Promotion. Easiest sex hack ever.
4. Almost 31 percent of guys have faked an orgasm. A survey from Time Out New York found that guys are in on the trick, too. Time to start second-guessing everything you thought you knew.
5. Love makes for better sex. A recent study presented at the annual meeting of the American Sociological Association found that the most mind-blowing sex comes with being in love with your partner.
6. Condoms don’t actually affect pleasure all that much. Next time a guy complains about using a condom serve him up this study that found men and women enjoy sex just as much with condoms as they do without. In fact, condoms might even make sex better, thanks to new, pleasure-enhancing innovations.
7. Nipplegasms exist. Add this to the list of crazy orgasms you probably can only dream about. But here’s how it works: Nipple stimulation releases oxytocin, which can cause the uterine and vaginal contractions associated with orgasm. This brings more blood flow to the genitals and, for some lucky women, that can mean an orgasm.
8. One in 5 people use their smart phones during sex. Yes, you read that correctly. During sex. At least, adults between 18 and 34 years old do, according to a survey by Harris Interactive for Jumio. Here’s hoping that they weren’t using their phones to live-tweet.
9. Sex is a great addition to your regular workout. You’ve probably heard that sex is a great form of exercise—and then heard that fact debunked. Okay, so you won’t be shedding any serious weight on a fitness routine of sex alone, but Canadian researchers found that the level of intensity during sex was practically two-thirds that of exercise. AKA, the perfect supplement to your usual workout.
10. You can induce sex dreams by your sleep position. If you’re not dreaming about Channing Tatum as much as you’d like, you might want to switch up how you sleep. A study published in Dreaming found that people who slept face down on their stomach with their arms stretched above their head had more sexual dreams—including ones about affairs with celebrities. Bring it on.