If the Founding Fathers were alive today, what would they think of America? It’s safe to say that they would probably be proud of many things, but horrified at some others. Most Americans would probably be surprised by some facts about their very own country – if they knew these facts, that is. It’s always easy to look at someone else and see how strange or bizarre they are, but sometimes a little self-reflection is a good thing. And my fellow Americans, we are pretty freaking weird.
From our towns, to our cities, to our states, the U.S. is one odd place. We’ve got strange people, strange traditions, and strange laws, all adding up to make America one of the most bizarre countries in the world. Check out some of the things that make us so wacky.
1. One out of every eight people in the United States has been employed by McDonald’s at some point in their lives.
2. Apple has more money than the U.S. Treasury.
3. In Montana, cows outnumber humans 3 to 1.
4. The first person to own a slave in America was black.
5. Though the majority of Americans speak English, there is no official national language in the U.S.
6. It is legal for kids to smoke, but it is illegal for them to purchase cigarettes.
7. Medical errors are the 6th leading cause of death in the U.S.
8. 27% of Americans don’t believe the U.S. really landed astronauts on the moon.
9. 100 acres of pizza are served in the U.S. every single day.
10. Unmarried women give birth to 40% of all babies in America each year .
11. 22 million chickens are consumed in the U.S. every day.
12. In more than half of all U.S. states, the highest paid public employee in the state is a football coach.